IN THIS SECTION
A full searchable directory of telephone and contact details of ORC staff and students more...
Nicholas Heng Loong Wong
tel: +44 23 8059 3173
Postgraduate student (from 2012)
Member of groups
About Nicholas Wong
Nicholas Wong joined the Optoelectronics Research Centre (ORC) at the University of Southampton as a PhD student in September, 2012. His research focuses on characterising novel low-loss multimode hollow-core photonic bandgap fibres (HC-PBGFs) and studying the mode coupling effects therein, and in so doing, determining their potential for high-capacity space-division multiplexing applications, in datacom networks such as data centres as well as long-haul telecom networks such as the internet.
He received a Bachelor of Engineering (BE) degree in Electrical Engineering, Honours Class 1, from the University of New South Wales (UNSW), Australia, where his area of specialisation was wireless communications. During his studies, he was awarded the Energy Australia Electrical Energy 3rd Year Prize for best performance in 3rd year power engineering modules, the National ICT Australia (NICTA) Telecommunications Excellence Award for top performance in 4th year telecommunications modules, and 2nd place in the Best Thesis Poster Competition. From his 2nd to final years, he was included in the Dean’s Honours List and also received the Scholars Medallion from his resident hall, Warrane College. In concurrence with his studies, he completed and obtained a Diploma of Educational Studies (DipEdSt) from the College of Teachers, UK.
Upon completing his degree, he was awarded the UNSW Taste of Research Summer Scholarship, where he carried out research in the signal processing field of speaker recognition, in collaboration with NICTA. Thereafter, he returned to his home country of Singapore in order to fulfil his national service military obligations. In the interim months leading up to his enlistment, he joined the Institute for Infocomm Research (I2R), part of Singapore’s Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), as a research officer and investigated traffic scheduling algorithms for hybrid WDM/TDM-PONs. It was there where he developed an interest in photonics. During his national service, he was commissioned as an army infantry officer in the Singapore Armed Forces, and subsequently served as a staff officer at the SAFTI Military Institute. He finished his full-time service at the rank of Lieutenant (LTA), shortly before joining the ORC.
He is a student member of The Optical Society (OSA), The International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE), and The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), a graduate student member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), and an associate member of the Institute of Physics (IOP). He also currently serves on the committee of the University of Southampton Optics and Photonics Society as President, and is an ambassador in the acclaimed Lightwave Roadshow. Yielding to his interest in teaching, he is involved in laboratory demonstrating for several undergraduate physics and electronics modules, and has lectured on Chaos Theory for Year 1 Electronics and Computer Science (ECS) students.
There are 17 publications in ORC database for 'Wong, N.'
- 7539 — N.H.L.Wong, M.Posner, V.Mittal, D.Gray, P.JohnTaking local optics outreach abroad for IYL 2015: administrative and logistical challenges and strategies
SPIE Optical Engineering + Applications Symposium - Optics Education and Outreach IV San Diego 31 Aug - 1 Sep 2016 Paper: 99460F pp.13
- 7453 — M.Posner, P.V.John, D.Standen, N.V.Wheeler, L.D.Van Putten, N.Soper, T.L.Parsonage, N.H.L.Wong, G.BrambillaReflecting photonics: reaching new audiences through new partnerships - IYL 2015 and the Royal Horticultural Society flower show
SPIE Optical Engineering + Applications Symposium- Optics Education and Outreach IV San Diego 28 Aug - 1 Sep 2016 Paper: 994603
- 7393 — G.Saridis, Y.Yan, Y.Shu, S.Yan, M.Arslan, T.Bradley, N.V.Wheeler, N.H.L.Wong, F.Poletti, M.N.Petrovich, D.J.Richardson, S.Poole, G.Zervas, D.SimeonidouEVROS: All-optical programmable disaggregated data centre interconnect utilizing hollow-core bandgap fibre
European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC'15) Valencia 27 Sep - 1 Oct 2015 Tu.3.6.5
- 7345 — D.J.Richardson, Yong Chen, N.Wheeler, J.R.Hayes, T.Bradley, Z.Liu, S.Sandoghchi, G.Jasion, E.Numkam Fokoua, D.Gray, R.Slavík, Yongmin Jung, N.H.L.Wong, F.Poletti, M.N.PetrovichPhotonic bandgap fibres for low-latency data transmission
European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC'15) Valencia 27 Sep - 1 Oct 2015 Mo.4.1.1 (Invited)
- 7177 — S.R.Sandoghchi, M.N.Petrovich, D.R.Gray, Yong Chen, N.V.Wheeler, T.D.Bradley, N.H.L.Wong, G.Jasion, J.R.Hayes, E.Numkam Fokoua, M.Botelho Alonso Gouveia, S.M.Abokhamis Mousavi, D.J.Richardson, F.PolettiOptical side scattering radiometry for high resolution, wide dynamic range longitudinal assessment of optical fibers
Optics Express 2015 Vol.23(21) pp.27960-27974
- 7070 — N.H.L.Wong, M.T.Posner, P.V.JohnThe Lightwave Programme and Roadshow: An Overview and Update
Conference on Education and Training in Optics and Photonics (ETOP) Bordeaux, France 29 Jun - 2 Jul 2015 97932V
- 7064 — E.Numkam Fokoua, N.H.L.Wong, D.J.Richardson, F.PolettiAnalysis and comparison of intermodal coupling coefficient of standard and hollow core few moded fibres
European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC '15) Valencia, Spain 27 Sep - 1 Oct 2015
- 7063 — N.H.L.Wong, S.R.Sandoghchi, Yongmin Jung, T.Bradley, N.V.Wheeler, N.K.Baddela, J.R.Hayes, F.Poletti, M.N.Petrovich, S.U.Alam, P.Petropoulos, D.J.RichardsonInspection of defect-induced mode coupling in hollow-core photonic bandgap fibers using time-of-flight
CLEO San Jose, CA 10-15 May 2015 STu1N.6
- 7056 — N.H.L.Wong, Yongmin Jung, S.Sandoghchi, T.Bradley, N.K.Baddela, N.V.Wheeler, J.R.Hayes, M.N.Petrovich, F.Poletti, S.Alam, P.Petropoulos, D.J.RichardsonModal characterization of hollow-core photonic bandgap fibers in the time-domain
Siegman International School on Lasers Amberg, Germany 2-7 Aug 2015 (Poster)
- 7028 — M.Kuschnerov, V.A.J.M.Sleiffer, Yingkan Chen, Erik de Man, Yong Chen, Z.Liu, S.Sandoghchi, G.Jasion, T.Bradley, E.Numkam Fokoua, J.R.Hayes, N.Wheeler, D.Gray, R.Slavík, Yongmin Jung, N.H.L.Wong, B.Mangan, F.Poletti, M.N.Petrovich, D.J.RichardsonData transmission through up to 74.8 km of hollow-core fiber with coherent and direct-detect transceivers
European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC'15) Valencia 27 Sep - 1 Oct 2015
- 6900 — R.V.Jensen, L.Grüner-Nielsen, N.H.L.Wong, Y.Sun, Y.Jung, D.J.RichardsonDemonstration of a 9 LP-mode transmission fiber with low DMD and loss
OFC'15 Los Angeles 22-26 Mar 2015 W2A.34
- 6715 — Y.Jung, E.L.Lim, Q.Kang, T.C.May-Smith, N.H.L.Wong, R.Standish, F.Poletti, J.K.Sahu, S.U.Alam, D.J.RichardsonCladding pumped few-mode EDFA for mode division multiplexed transmission
Optics Express 2014 Vol.22(23) pp.29008-29013
- 6340 — Y.Jung, Z.Li, N.H.L.Wong, J.M.O.Daniel, J.K.Sahu, S.U.Alam, D.J.RichardsonSpatial mode switchable, wavelength tunable erbium doped fiber laser incorporating a spatial light modulator
OFC'14 San Francisco, USA 9-13 Mar 2014 Tu3D.4
- 6338 — E.L.Lim, Y.Jung, Q.Kang, T.C.May-Smith, N.H.L.Wong, R.Standish, F.Poletti, J.K.Sahu, S.U.Alam, D.J.RichardsonFirst demonstration of cladding pumped few-moded EDFA for mode division multiplexed transmission
OFC'14 San Francisco, USA 9-13 Mar 2014 M2J.2
- 6238 — V.A.J.M.Sleiffer, Y.Jung, N.K.Baddela, J.Surof, M.Kuschnerov, V.Veljanovski, J.R.Hayes, N.V.Wheeler, E.Numkam Fokoua, J.P.Wooler, D.R.Gray, N.H.L.Wong, F.R.Parmigiani, S.U.Alam, M.N.Petrovich, F.Poletti, D.J.Richardson, H.de WaardtHigh capacity mode-division multiplexed optical transmission in a novel 37-cell hollow-core photonic bandgap fiber
Journal of Lightwave Technology 2014 Vol.32(4) pp.854-863
- 5934 — N.K.Baddela, M.N.Petrovich, Y.Jung, J.R.Hayes, N.V.Wheeler, D.R.Gray, N.H.L.Wong, F.Parmigiani, E.Numkam Fokoua, J.P.Wooler, F.Poletti, D.J.RichardsonFirst demonstration of a low loss 37-cell hollow core photonic bandgap fiber and its use for data transmission
Conference on Lasers and Electro Optics (CLEO 2013) San Jose, CA 9-14 June 2013 CTu2K.3
- 5806 — Y.Jung, V.A.J.M.Sleiffer, N.Baddela, M.N.Petrovich, J.R.Hayes, N.V.Wheeler, D.R.Gray, E.Numkam Fokoua, J.P.Wooler, N.H.L.Wong, F.Parmigiani, S.-U.Alam, J.Surof, M.Kuschnerov, V.Veljanovski, H.de Waardt, F.Poletti, D.J.RichardsonFirst demonstration of a broadband 37-cell hollow core photonic bandgap fiber and its application to high capacity mode division multiplexing
Conference on Optical Fibre Communications OFC '13 Anaheim 17-21 March 2013 PDP5A.3 (Postdeadline)
For more publications, visit our database search tool.
Copyright University of Southampton 2006